[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Yaron mythusers at freakzilla.com
Tue Feb 23 20:26:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010, Kevin Kuphal wrote:

> There's nothing stopping you, or anyone, from adding a simple "Play using
> external player" option to the MENU on a
> That's the beauty of open source.

No, that's the PROBLEM with Open Source.

For 90% of the population, "Fix The Source Code" is NOT a solution. And
this is coming form someone who HAS in the past hacked his own patches
into MythTV (as well as many other open source programs).

When you give this kind of answer, you're implying that people shouldn't
bother asking questions and should just fix stuff themselves and quit
bothering people. That's how you lose users and acceptance.

Note that I asked if there is a way to do something fairly simple and
OFFERED A WORKAROUND IF THERE IS NOT. My workaround is about a million
times easier than patching MythTV.

Open source is a WONDERFUL thing, but the days when "Open Source" meant
you have to download and compile a program yourself are LONG gone. My
current MythTV master backend was installed using apt-get. My current
frontend is a Mythbuntu box so I didn't even have to do THAT. Why on EARTH
would I want to start fiddling with code on something I don't really have
to? I've got plenty of other projects occupying my time... and I'd like to
be able to listen to music/watch TV while I do them!

-Yaron