[mythtv-users] Tuner opinions?

Pete Ashdown pashdown at xmission.com
Tue Feb 23 21:25:34 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
>> Suggestions?
>> I'm looking at cards like:
>>
>> HD-5500 - only one connection, though....
>>

> Requires you to use software encoding for analog capture, this means a lot of
> CPU, and limited codecs available (RTjpeg and mpeg4). Can't do analog and
> digital at the same time.

They are sweet for digital though.  I've got a box with four PC-HD5500's
in it and I am happy as a clam with the quality and quantity of digital
OTA broadcast.  I never use them for analog.   If you want to run
multiples of them, the only problem is finding an appropriate
motherboard with enough PCI slots.