[mythtv-users] Commercial Flagging in 0.22 - no success.

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Wed Feb 24 01:49:22 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-23 at 20:22 -0500, Tom Dexter wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Manuel McLure <manuel at mclure.org> wrote:
> > I've noticed that since I upgraded to 0.22, commercial flagging is not
> > producing usable results. On 0.21 commercial flagging was quite good -
> > I'd see maybe one bad flag per three or four 1 hour shows. Now I'm
> > lucky to see one good flag per 3 or 4 shows. The flags often seem to
> > be in the very middle of show segments or ads - in fact they seem
> > almost random. If I watch a show that I recorded before the upgrade,
> > flags are correct, so it does not seem to be a playback issue.
> >
> > I'm running 0.22-fixes SVN revision 23069 on 64-bit Gentoo. On both
> > 0.21 and 0.22 I use the "All Methods" commercial flagging, and
> > changing the "Strict Commercial Detection" setting does not seem to
> > change the behavior. Recordings are h.264 over IPTV. Normal seeking
> > within the show seems to work fine, so the seektable seems correct.
> >
> > What commercial flagging settings in 0.22 correspond to the settings
> > in 0.21? I'm very close to simply turning off commflagging completely
> > - no use wasting CPU cycles on it if it doesn't produce usable
> > results.
> >
> > Any tips on getting this to work properly would be greatly appreciated!

> I've been running the same version under Gentoo only 32 bit x86 for
> about a week and a half now.  I've always used all methods with strict
> commflagging enabled.  I didn't change anything under 0.22 and it
> appears to be working just as reliably as ever.  In my case this is
> with U.S. OTA broadcast shows.

Manuel,

I'm having similar issues in Australia with commercial detection.

Channel ten works great with the default detection method (which is ALL
AVAILABLE METHODS)  However, 7 and 9 don't do so well, with commercial
detection being poor at best.  2 doesn't have commecials (do I don't
detect them) and I don't watch enough SBS to be able to comment.

I've turned off strict detection with seems to improve 7 and 9 a little
(but not enough to bother with it) and it make 10 very unreliable with
chunks of the show missing, so that's no good.

I have two questions?

1.  What are other Australian's experiences and have they had any luck
improving the detection rate by changing things.

2. How can I test different detection methods?

And a comment.

The UI for this seems all wrong.

I set the default detection method in the FE and have an option to use
strict.  The options in the FE are ALL, Blank, Blank + Scene, Scene,
Logo, Exp: Blank + Logo, and Post & Pre: Blank & Scene.

However to control individual channels I have to set this in the BE,
which doesn't have a strict option and includes all the FE ones plus
Global and Comm Free.

Finally, mythcommflag has off, blank, scene, blankscene, logo, all, d2,
d2_logo, d2_blank, d2_scene, d2_all

It's not clear how the mythcommflag options line up to the FE/BE
options, and why can't I set strict per channel?  Shouldn't this per
channel control be the same, and available on the front end to manage
(even though this is really all BE stuff, and probably should be in the
BE and not in the FE at all)

Presumable the FE/BE -> mythcommflag options match up like this:

ALL -> all
Blank -> blank
Blank + Scene -> blankscene
Scene -> scene
Logo -> logo
Exp: Blank + Logo -> ???
Post & Pre: Blank & Scene -???
??? -> d2
??? -> d2_logo
??? -> d2_blank
??? -> d2_scene
??? -> d2_all

Which leaves a lot of unmatched options.

R.