[mythtv-users] Issues recording DTV (Comcast via QAM256)

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Wed Feb 24 02:43:29 UTC 2010

On 2/17/2010 12:17 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> Now that I've had it running for a while, with my signal levels easily >
> 70% (according to LiveTV) and getting fairly consistent locks:
>
> When recording via schedule -- some of the recordings are un-watchable
> because of DTV artifacts (the look like lost signal/bad tuning w/jumps
> in time. -- You guys all know).
>
> When I watch live TV for that channel, it looks fine. But recording
> automatically seems to have issues.
>
> I've tried setting the preference to one tuner card or the other (I have
> a pcHDTV-3000 and 5500) to try and rule out either particular card - but
> that doesn't seem to matter.
>
> I'd like to hear thoughts from others if they've had tweaks they've
> asserted on their systems to fix something similar.

I thought I would toss out to everyone that today, while NCIS was recording on my pcHDTV-3000
(and I could watch the file enjoying all the skips and broken video/audio) I could tune
to it on my pcHDTV-5500 and watch it live with no problems.

I've already adjusted (in the past) the preference from recording on the 5500 to the 3000 to see
if that would help and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

The cards are both set for a tuning delay of 0 and a 2 demux'd channels per card.

WEIRD.

   -Ben

p.s. I record Life Unexpected in HD and it's usually fine (different channel).
Makes me wonder if there's a comcast issue.

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.
Email: bkamen AT benjammin DOT net              Web: http://www.benjammin.net

Fortune says:
Once, there was NO fun ... This was before MENU planning, FASHION
statements or NAUTILUS equipment ... Then, in 1985 ... FUN was
completely encoded in this tiny MICROCHIP ... It contain 14,768 vaguely
amusing SIT-COM pilots!!  We had to wait FOUR BILLION years but we
finally got JERRY LEWIS, MTV and a large selection of creme-filled
snack cakes!