[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Ian Oliver lists at foxhill.co.uk
Wed Feb 24 09:00:34 UTC 2010

In article <4B845636.5060602 at thirdcontact.com>, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> MENU|Program Guide (or something to that effect)
>
> or, better,
>
> GUIDE (by default, S)
>
> while watching LiveTV.

I know how to get the guide up, just not how to use it to watch Live TV.

> write a patch to make MythTV work
> the way you want and /without/ any of the issues/downsides I've
> mentioned.
> Only then will you understand that you're asking for the
> impossible.  You /must/ give up something to get what you want.

Have you ever used another PVR such as the Humax dual-tuner models? They manage to
make Live TV far more seamless than mythtv does despite far fewer underlying
hardware resources. They don't prioritise Live TV over recordings (the exact
opposite), they do make smart use of tuners to keep one free for Live TV if
possible, and they do let you select any Live TV channel that it's physically
possible to let you select without any extra hoop jumping.

If it isn't easy/possible to get mythtv to perform as well as or better than
existing PVRs do, then perhaps we're looking at software architecture issues?

> All the
> info you need is in the linked posts, plus my previous post with the
> mention of the "Browse all channels" setting.

I did give Browse All Channels a quick go, but it also seemed to refuse to let me
select a channel that was on a different mux. I'll try again now that I've done a
load of updates.

Ian