[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Andrew Herron totallymaxed at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 09:33:18 UTC 2010

HI Ian,

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Ian Oliver <lists at foxhill.co.uk> wrote:

> In article <71798b431002231447s37173807laa3b8cf7724ed773 at mail.gmail.com>,
> Andrew Herron wrote:
> > I totally agree with your perspective on this issue.
>
> Thanks, that's good to know! But can I repeat that I'm not the one who
> needs
> to be happy: the target audience is my wife and daughter. They want to turn
> on
> the TV, select a channel, and it just to happen. They (grudgingly) accept
> that
> there are at times good reasons why things aren't possible, but I sold
> mythtv
> to them as a "just add tuners until it works" solution.

Our target audience is your wife & daughter too...or to be precise their
equivalents in other families ;-)

> > We are working on a patch to MythTV 0.21 that does exactly what you are
> > describing for LiveTV & for scheduler recordings too - ie MythTV
> > automagically manages multirec tuners so that it always makes sure that
> if a
> > multirec tuner is already tuned to a channel from a given MUX that
> > subsequent requests from either LiveTV viewing or the scheduler for other
> > channels on that MUX are allocated to a Multirec tuner derived from that
> > same physical tuner...if no physical tuner is delivering channels from
> the
> > MUX required then a new Multirec tuner will be allocated on an unused
> > physical tuner.
>
> That sounds perfect.
>
> > This means that there is never a situation where you can
> > have two physical tuners tuned to the same MUX.
>
> I'm guessing that one exception to this is when recordings+live exceed the
> number of virtual tuners on that mux?

No in fact we see no point in allocating another physical tuner to an
already tuned MUX. We're testing how multirec tuners scale beyond 10
instances (see Mikes earlier comments about possible performance bottlenecks
in multirec) - so far we're getting very positive performance stats on this
though.

> > All of this is automatically
> > handled for the user and no manual tuner selection is required. Alongside
> > the above we have removed the limitation of only 5 multirec tuners per
> > physical tuner.
>
> It's now sounding even better! I've currently set 4 virtual tuners per
> DVB-T
> USB stick, but this is really because I just don't understand the
> software/system limitations yet.
>
> > We have the LiveTV part of the above working well now and are just
> starting
> > working on integrating and testing the recordings scheduler so that it
> uses
> > the same logic now.
>
> I'm hoping that recordings are prioritised over Live TV and will boot it
> off
> the tuner if required?

The existing setup options will allow you to customise this to your
preference.

--
Head of Software & Technology
Convergent Home Technologies Ltd