[mythtv-users] Disabling the internal player

Frank Merrill fmerrill1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 14:43:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 8:41 AM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 10:47:06AM +1100, Chris Adams wrote:
>> > Just a heads up, the shift in MythVideo to using storage groups and allowing
>> > remote access rather than relying on NFS, will likely result in the removal
>> > of external player support.
>>
>> Any word on support of ISOs in a storage group? Last I read online
>> this was not working yet and was delaying migration away from the old
>> directory-based storage system.
>
> There's also:
>
>  1) vob files
>  2) mkv's with captions or subtitles
>  3) avi's with external caption file (srt)
>  4) m2ts files with TrueHD audio

I only use Storage groups now and have no issues at all with any of 1,
2 or 3 being in a  Storage group and playing via the Internal player
at all on any frontend with no file system mounts (I used to use NFS
for MythVideo, but not anymore).
I primarily use VOB files as that is how they get ripped from my DVDs.
I used to use a few ISO files, but dropped them (actually transcoded
them to another format) in favor of being able to use Storage Groups
To be fair, I do not use subtitles or captions much, as my eyes and
ears work fine, and I have no real need for them, but I do understand
the need for them for some people for physical or language barrier
issues.
I don't use m2ts files, so I have no idea about that.

Your general negative comments about MythTV in this thread makes me
wonder why you even use it if it's really that bad for you.
I'm not sure how much you paid for your copy of MythTV, but mine was
really, really cheap.

Frank