[mythtv-users] Revo 1600 looks even better now

Tom Lichti redpepperracing at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 20:40:30 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 2:03 PM, Mark Garland
<mythtvusers at markgarland.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In regards to the Revo debate, I am seriously considering one of these (or
> building an ION based box).  I love the idea of just buying/building one,
> installing the frontend, enabling VDPAU and away it goes - small, compact,
> quiet etc.  It ticks a lot of boxes, especially if I can relocate my
> combined FEBE and just had this small one in the living room on the network
> as a FE.
>
> However, I seem to get differing reports.  People like Greg seem to really
> promote it, but I've also read other tales of stuttering, audio issues, and
> it just not being quite up to the job (i.e. no Advanced 2x deinterlacer),
> which has left me concerned.
>
> For example, I've been watching R3610 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/182588
> (no affiliation) for a while and it's currently £189.99
> And R3600 - http://www.ebuyer.com/product/167153 (no affiliation) which is
> down to an amazing £129.92.
>
> Would be good to get definitive answers as to whether
> a) The single/double core revo is needed - this list would suggest single is
> fine
> b) with the tv res @ 1920x1080, whether it can play SD MPEG2 (with Advanced
> 2x Deinterlacer)
> c) with the tv res @ 1920x1080, whether it can play HD (with Advanced 2x
> Deinterlacer)
> d) whether if I didn't have Advanced 2x Deinterlacer, I'd notice much of a
> difference

I have two single core Atom/ION frontends, I output at 1920x1080 both
SD MPEG2 and OTA HD using the BOB deinterlacer and it looks great to
my eyes. I know it will not do the 2x deinterlacers, I haven't really
tried the others, so I can't comment on whether you would notice a
difference. All I can say is I am quite happy with mine.

Tom