[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD w/subtitles, Can I toggle them with the Internal Player?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Feb 25 18:24:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com>wrote:

> The problem is that I'm ripping the videos, transcoding them down and the
> subtitles are "on" the video.  Like they're not separated so that there's no
> way to toggle them.  I checked in mplayer and even it couldn't toggle the
> subtitles.
>
> So the question becomes, how es one rip videos and subtitles so that you
> can turn them on/off at will?

I use MakeMKV the most lately for ripping DVDs. However, it doesn't do
transcoding. I don't bother with that as I have plenty of disk space and
with a large screen TV, any quality loss from DVD is noticeable.

What format are you transcoding to? Container type? Perhaps your chosen
container doesn't do separate subtitle streams, so the encoder adds the subs
to the picture.