[mythtv-users] eee PC FLASH_CON Drives

Tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Thu Feb 25 18:41:11 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Wormsley" <daworm at comcast.net>
To: <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:15 AM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] eee PC FLASH_CON Drives

On 2/24/2010 5:54 PM, Tortise wrote:
> I wonder what steps you took when installing on those flash drives, in particular did you install with no swap file and did you
> turn off updating file read dates every time a file is read, something like this (Credit
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?Install_To_CompactFlash):
>

>Well, for most of the flash drives (two no name 4G drives, 8G SanDisk
Cruzer), I couldn't even get the install finished.  There would usually
be some sort of error in the installation process.  For the ones I did
get installed to, yes, I did all of that.  No swap, noatime, moved logs
and such to tmpfs.  But even though they worked fine, they were too
small for what I wanted to install (2G SanDisk Cruzer was fastest,
another 2G no name worked, but slowly).  Mostly I think what put me over
the limit was the theme cache.  I toyed with the idea of moving it to an
NFS mount, but didn't.

FWIW I've done much the same with a SanDisk 8G CF 133x and had none of those issues, using about 4.5 of the 8G with mythbuntu 9.10
FE's.  (Usually I'm pretty good for finding issues but perhaps I am finally getting over the essential noob learning hump!) I then
copied the installed image to another using DD, edited its xorg.conf and hostname, and that is working well also.  The caveat is its
early days and how long they'll last is anyones guess, however so far they are working quietly and well.

The only issue I have with these is the Default Master Volume starts back at 0 on reboot and of course I cloned that feature as
well!    Using sudo alsamixer does not seem to set it to permanently to 100. The chipset is Realtek ALC888

Can anyone suggest how to tell it to set the master Volume to 100 (0dB) on start / boot / login?  Perhaps I need a new thread?