[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend delay/freeze for about 2-3 minutes about 15-25 seconds after starting.

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 19:51:47 UTC 2010

> When I first started on this project I used the latest
> MythBuntu to keep things simple while I learned.  At some
> point during my work with it, I did something, I don't know
> what, to cause the frontend to freeze for a few minutes
> shortly after start up.  The front end would become
> completely un responsive.  Then after about 2 minutes, the
> main screen would either disappear, leaving only the blue
> background of the MythCenter Wide template and then be
> replaced by the screen representing the MythGallery plugin
> or the MythGallery screen would be placed behind the main
> Myth Menu as though the main menu was transparent.  After
> another minute or so the screen would blank again and at
> that point the frontend would unfreeze and I could hit a key
> and the menus would come back and I could continue using the
> system as though nothing had happened.

So what I would do to troubleshoot this is ssh into my MythFronted
from another machine and start a 'tail -f
/var/log/mythtv/mythfrontend.log' and watch it while the lockup or
pause occurs.

If nothing stands out (let us on the list be the judge if you're
unsure) then you could tail /var/log/messages during this mystery
pause and you should see some process logging something before and/or
after the pause.

If need be you could open a terminal on that local machine and tail
those files while starting mythfrontend in a window. The command for
starting mythfrontend in a window looks like this:

"mythfrontend --geometry 840x525 -w"

You can specify whatever geometry you'd prefer - but basically
anything smaller than the full screen would be helpful.

This assumes that the hang or pause happens each time mythfrontend is
started and not just at boot.

-Johnny