[mythtv-users] Live TV channel restrictions

Chris Adams rocket at extremelan.net
Fri Feb 26 00:01:55 UTC 2010

>> I think a lot of the conceptual difficulty that some of us have is this:
>> all preselected recordings represent *scheduled* events, whereas by it's
>> nature, LiveTV is an *unscheduled* event. I would even go so far as to say
>> unschedule-able.
>>
>> However, your point above, may be solved in a straightforward (note: does
>> not say simple) way, that is, whenever a channel change is made in LiveTV
>> why not force a reschedule? That would enable the scheduler to take notice
>> of the fact that resource availability has changed, and allocate resources
>> required for forthcoming recordings according to latest availability.
>>
>> I note this would /not/ be optimal for your average channel-surfer,
>> because you'd trigger a reschedule every few seconds. Perhaps a timer which
>> delays a reschedule for perhaps 1 minute would suffice to ensure that the
>> user was actually watching the channel. i.e.
>>
>> LiveTV channel change --> start 1 minute timer
>> Timer completes --> Force reschedule
>>
>> --
>>
>> Mike Perkins
>
> Well my concern with the approach you suggest above is that even with the
> 'delay' you might end up with some kind of 'race condition' fairly easily.
> But I do agree something needs to be done to keep the LiveTV & scheduler out
> of each others 'hair'.
> Andrew

LiveTV could be set up to take up any "gaps" the scheduler leaves -
but never interfere with its operation.
In this pie-in-the-sky scenario:

- LiveTV always chooses "the optimal tuner": this is whichever tuner
will allow the desired channel to remain tuned longest.
- Each time the LiveTV user changes channel a new "optimal tuner" is chosen.
- LiveTV doesn't use the virtual tuners - they are only for the
scheduler. LiveTV would use something else such as a dynamically
created virtual tuner.
- If you're watching LiveTV and the scheduler wants your tuner, LiveTV
code searches for another optimal tuner then tries to make a seamless
switch. If done REALLY well the user (and the ringbuffer) wouldn't
even notice...
- If no switch can be made, bring up the existing dialog and let the
user decide what to do!

This reduces interaction by setting a hierarchy: scheduler eats first
(since it deals with predictable events) and LiveTV(s) get whatever's
left.. plus the scheduler code stays as it is today.

No promises but I'll look into making a patch out of this.