[mythtv-users] "small" mATX case that can still hold a full PCI card?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Feb 26 15:55:38 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com>wrote:

> On 2/26/2010 00:24, Dan Armbrust wrote:
>
>> What is the smallest case that folks have found that can still handle
>> a full PCI card?
>>

> If you want a thin case and need to use full height cards, either stick
> your tuner cards in a separate backend, or buy a case with a 90 degree riser
> card.

I suspect this is one of the reasons Myth devs did the work
for multiple backend machines. It doesn't have to be a powerful box, unless
you're trying to do compression of the fly or something like that. Most
current tuner cards seem to be either digital only or do the compression on
the card, so your backend computer is just writing the stream to disk. Even
an old 486 should be able to do that. We all probably
have neighbors throwing away computers that would work great as BEs.

My BE is part of a big noisy server sitting in the utility room. More than
enough space for full height and length cards. The FEs are small mATX boxes,
though one of them is tall enough for full height cards. Any future FEs are
likely going to be Revos or similar. Tiny, low power drain, quiet, HD
capable. What's not to like? :)