[mythtv-users] Ripping DVD w/subtitles, Can I toggle them with the Internal Player?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Fri Feb 26 16:07:11 UTC 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 5:40 PM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:

> Bah, you're probably right.  I should just grab a pristine copy of the DVD
> with makemkv.  If I'm spending the time to rip DVD's I might as well get the
> best copy possible and then worry about disk space later.
>
> Can you please test the subtitle support in myth's internal player?

I tested one last night. The subs were detected, including what language
they were for, and I could display them with the internal player. They show
up in the middle of the picture though, is there a setting somewhere to
change this? I would like them at the bottom, preferably in the letterbox. I
didn't have time to browse through the settings, I'm sure there's something
in there though.

As for MakeMKV being proprietary, yes, it is. And they might charge for it
in the future. If it's reasonable, I will buy it. I have yet to use another
program, free or not, that works nearly as well. If it's not reasonable,
I'll have to find a new way of doing this I suppose. Handbrake has also
treated me well in the past, and I think it has options to keep the streams
without transcoding. I know it does for audio at least.