[mythtv-users] MS media center

Christopher Meredith chmeredith at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 02:33:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 6:55 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 02/26/2010 05:19 PM, Christopher Meredith wrote:
>>
>> I'm not a lawyer either, but I will be in August. ;-)
>
> Then you should know better than to give legal advice on a mailing list.

I'm not giving legal advice, I'm providing legal information. There's
an important difference. There was some backlash on the Mythbuntu
forums regarding mc2xml in which it was claimed that mc2xml is
"illegal" because it violates the TOS for MCE. That simply isn't true
and that's the point I was making.

>>  And companies
>> can restrict the use of data they provide, but they do so in the form
>> of licences. The MCE EULA (which is a form of a contract which you
>> must ACCEPT to be bound to) says that you can only access their
>> servers with MCE. But the data is not copyrighted (at least not by
>> Microsoft or Zap2It)
>
> Wrong.  TMS holds copyrights on a some of the information (which goes well
> beyond pure facts) provided.

Yes, and I never said otherwise. Program titles and times are not
copyrightable but show synopses are. My point was that neither Zap2It
(remote source) nor Microsoft (immediate source) are the copyright
holders and since these are the only entities that would even know who
is accessing the data, the chances of it being a problem are slim to
zero. Technical copyright violation? Perhaps. But you would be
surprised how many everyday activities are technical copyright
violations. Let me put it this way: a DVR program with an official
plugin like MythArchive can't really complain about accessing
unsecured EPG data.