[mythtv-users] MS media center

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 19:03:31 UTC 2010

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Friday 26 February 2010 07:58:47 pm Christopher Meredith wrote:
>
>> It's not my intention to quibble unnecessarily, but MythTV is
>> perfectly usable without the copyrightable portions (descriptions). I
>> really don't understand the resistance that always seems to accompany
>> attempts to get simple listings without paying a monthly fee. That's
>> the way things used to be and when SD came out, we were assured that
>> it wasn't a profit-making venture. If this is true, how does it
>> "support the community"?
>
> Oh come on, PLEASE.
>
> There is a difference between making a profit and simply meeting your expenses.
>
> I would be more than happy to pay SD several times what they charge. They are
> very reasonably priced, and the folks behind it jumped in when the usefulness
> of Myth systems was threatened and very quickly made sure a lot of us
> continued to get the data we needed.
>
> When someone provides you with something of value, you reciprocate.
>
> Or are you the type who never leaves a tip at a restaurant?

+1000.  Not only that, it's ludicrous to pretend that enhancing
descriptions is the only part TMS is playing in this.  The big part
they play is in the coordination they've done to get all that
information about all the local affiliates schedules etc...something
almost impossible to do, which is why TV Guide and TMS are they only
ones to have done so.

The fact that they've made this all available to SD for a cost that
allows me to have reliable listings for less than 6 cents a day is so
great it's almost laughable.

Tom