[mythtv-users] Internal Player DVD Subtitles

David Kubicek foceni at gmail.com
Sun Feb 28 01:59:39 UTC 2010

On 02/27/2010 03:28 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 01:46:36PM +1300, Nick Rout wrote:

> [deletia]
>>> When I played Angels and Demons straight from the DVD I noticed the same
>>> problem of "missing" "translation" subtitles early in the film. The
>>> translations appeared if the english subtitles were enabled. I assume it's
>>> the way the DVD was done and nothing to do with mythtv's internal player.
>>>

>> There are times when it seems the creator does not want you to know
>> what is being said in the foreign language. I am thinking of The Wire,
>
>      Quite often it is pure jibberish.

Some movies containing foreign language parts or comments have a default
subtitle track that contains text only for those short parts. I think
that's what OP's talking about.

They're not proper subtitles for all text, just an occasional subtitle
here or there. It's a regular subtitle track of course, it's just almost
"empty". All BD/DVD's of this kind have this subtitle track selected as
default and by default *active*. You can switch on to proper full
subtitles instead, as with any other DVD/BD.

The thing is these should be enabled as DVD author intended, even if you
don't have "subtitles on" preference in your config. They're part of the
actual movie and they're kept separate only to prevent clashing with
optional full (alt. language) subs.

This is what OP meant, the question is if his DVD is authored in this
way. He has to try that ISO in a regular player.

--
David Kubicek