[mythtv-users] Good Frontend

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 28 22:48:31 UTC 2010

On Sunday 28 February 2010 01:08:48 pm Nick Rout wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:05 AM, P.J. Trudell <pjtrudell at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Can anyone give me a suggestion and/or a parts list for a good front end
> > my wife will approve of for the bedroom TV.  I would like a quite (maybe
> > fan less) and small (preferable attachable to the back of a TV) front end
> > only to play HDTV 1080p streamed from a back end.  My top priority is
> > spouse approval.  I can either build it or buy a system to install.  A
> > bonus would be to use it as a second back end with a HD-PVR.
> >
> > It is hard to tell from the compatible parts list (mythtv.org) what will
> > be successful.  I looked at maybe a polywell system and a acer nettop,
> > but I am not sure what will actually work with the hardware requirements
> > of streaming hd.
> >
> > Here are my top priorities in order
> >
> > Plays HD live or recorded from Back end.
> > Quite - virtually no sound (location bedroom)
> > Looks good. i.e. small maybe even attaches to the back of the TV.
> > DVD player
> > Could possibly be used as a secondary back end.
> > Price <$500-600 usd
>
> The revo fits, apart from no dvd drive and it's far too cheap at US$199.00
>
> But you have to consider, do you need a dvd drive? rip and stream?

He could probably use an external USB type DVD drive if he HAS to have one,
otherwise I agree the Revo is a good candidate, it certainly meets all the
other requirements.

Logic Supply has some units with an optical drive, including some that would
mount to a VESA mount on the rear of a TV set. They would also be closer to
the desired price point.