[mythtv-users] GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 14:03:45 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 10:41 PM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Patrick Doyle <wpdster at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is anybody (else) using this motherboard for a frontend or
>>> frontend/backend system?
>>>
>>> I'm running Mythbuntu 9.10.
>>>
>>> I am having nothing but trouble trying to get this motherboard to
>>> work.  I've tried various combinations of open source, proprietary
>>> .deb., proprietary-install-it-yourself-from-ATI video drivers, current
>>> ALSA drivers, latest ALSA drivers, analog and digital audio, 32 bit
>>> and 64 bit installations.
>>>
>>> I thought I'd be able to figure this out on my own, but reached the
>>> point where I decided that the chipset on the mobo was new enough that
>>> perhaps I needed to wait a month or two for the drivers to catch up.
>>> So I went out and bought a 1/8" stereo to RCA jack cable and decided
>>> to go with the vanilla (unaccellerated) open source video driver and
>>> vanilla analog audio.  But it seemed that the audio didn't work until
>>> I power cycled the box.  Then I finally had (analog) audio through my
>>> TV.
>>>
>>> Today I turned the TV back on, no longer have audio, and am at my wits end.
>>>
>>> So, now I'll ask if anybody else has used this motherboard, or the
>>> chipset on the motherboard (AMD 785G Northbridge and SB710
>>> Southbridge).
>>>
>>> --wpd
>>>

>> I am using this motherboard for my backend server.  It is also
>> configured as a frontend, but I really don't use it very much.  Just
>> something to watch liveTV news or something in the back ground.
>>
>> As I recall I tried using proprietary ATI drivers, but got no display
>> on my Acer LCD 17 display.  Thought it was just the monitor being old
>> and didn't spend any time on it.
>>
>> I am also just using the 1/8" stereo jack connected to a pair of Bose
>> Companion 2 speakers with no problems to report.
>>
>> Motherboard works like a champ as a backend.
>
> Thanks for the info.  I'm not surprised at your description of its use
> as a backend.  That has been my experience as well.  I'm just having a
> terrible time getting the audio & video portions to work well enough
> that I can say to my family "Here's your new improved
> better-than-a-TiVo".
>
> --wpd

I'm not an export when it comes to MythTV.  I'm a noobie.

However before I started saw lots of people mentioning Nvidia for
better support.

My frontends are ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom N330 1.6GHz Dual-Core Mini ITX
Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H runs about 80watts idle and maybe 190watts
running full bore

AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz 2
8gb ram
(2) pchd 5500