[mythtv-users] GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 14:20:52 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:03 AM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not an export when it comes to MythTV.  I'm a noobie.
>
> However before I started saw lots of people mentioning Nvidia for
> better support.

I saw all of that too.  Somehow I hit on the idea of a 45W AMD
processor as being the lowest power processor I could find (outside of
an Ion, which I wasn't sure had the horsepower for a combined
frontend/backend machine).  But, not being completely sure that the
45W processor would do it, I bumped myself up to a 65W class
processor.  Once I settled on that, I couldn't find any motherboards
with built in Nvidia chipsets that supported the AMD processor AND
could handle the highest quality deinterlace (2x) at 1080p.

I figured, if worst came to worst, I could buy a separate nVidia board.

Ultimately, I analyzed, overanalyzed, and analyzed some more, pulled
the trigger, and am now in the position of trying to make what I
bought work.  Ultimately, I'll either get this to work, or buy an
nVidia card.  (I'm hoping to wait long enough for a fanless GT220
board to come out).

--wpd