[mythtv-users] Missed recordings and three encoders

Nikola Sprljan nikola at sprljan.com
Fri Jan 1 17:25:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have a Hauppauge WinTV Nova-T 500 dual tuner card and MythTV 0.21.20.
The "Encoder status" section at the page ./mythweb/status shows that I
have three encoders, and I can't figure out why would I have exactly
three of them. First couple of columns of my capturecard and cardinput
tables look as follows:

Capturecard table
+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+
| cardid | videodevice | audiodevice | vbidevice | cardtype |
+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+
|      1 | 0           |             |           | DVB      |
|      2 | 0           | NULL        | NULL      | DVB      |
|      3 | 1           |             |           | DVB      |
+--------+-------------+-------------+-----------+----------+

Cardinput table
+-------------+--------+----------+-----------+
| cardinputid | cardid | sourceid | inputname |
+-------------+--------+----------+-----------+
|           1 |      1 |        1 | DVBInput  |
|           3 |      3 |        1 | DVBInput  |
|           2 |      2 |        1 | DVBInput  |
+-------------+--------+----------+-----------+

Since my tuner card is dual, my guess would be that either two or four
encoders need to be present (four if each tuner has an additional
"virual" tuner used for recording the programs on the same multiplex as
the "real" tuner). I think there must be something wrong with my
settings because any time encoder 3 is selected a recording created is
void - there is a corresponding entry in the recordings but consisting
of 0 bytes. Looking in the logs, this is when cardid 3 is being selected.

I am a hoping someone here would be able to shed some light on this.

Many thanks,

Nikola