[mythtv-users] ZOTAC IONITX-B-E installation/configuration...

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 17:51:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 9:42 AM, Andrew Close <aclose at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi all,
>
> i'm having some issues getting my ZOTAC IONITX-B-E frontend to work.
> i've installed my distro of choice (LinHES) as a FE on two different
> USB sticks.  installation goes fine and everything appears to be
> happy; however, when rebooting the system, it just hangs when
> initializing the kernel.  and on top of that it appears to shut off
> the USB ports because my mouse and keyboard go dead at that point.  so
> i'm guessing the USB key is dead as well (it doesn't have any sort of
> indicator led on in).  i've also tried MythBuntu with the same
> results, so i don't believe it's a distro specific issue (the kernel
> hasn't even loaded so how could distro matter?).
> i'm fairly certain there is a BIOS setting i'm missing or have
> misconfigured.  in my BIOS i have the USB key selected as the primary
> boot device.  under the 'Advanced'->'USB Configuration' menu in the
> BIOS i've tried setting both HiSpeed and FullSpeed settings, Legacy
> USB Support is enabled, and under the 'USB Mass Storage Device Config'
> i've tried setting the 'USB Mass Storage Reset Delay' to 10, 20 & 30
> seconds and tried setting the 'Emulation Type' to both 'Auto' & "Hard
> Disk'.  the majority of the BIOS settings have been left to their
> default values, or reset to their defaults.  i've played around with
> other settings with no luck.  it seems crazy that the BIOS has a boot
> from USB option and then shuts off USB as it is starting up...  this
> board (ZOTAC IONITX-B-E) has an AMI BIOS (v02.61) onboard.  i didn't
> find any info on American Megatrends site to indicate that i needed a
> BIOS update.
> unfortunately when booting i don't get far enough into the boot cycle
> to switch the display from the splash screen to rolling output to see
> what's going on and then the keyboard locks up/goes away.  and since
> booting locks i don't have any logs to look at. :)
> this board does have a PXE Boot option in the BIOS and i'm tempted to
> try it.  but i figured the USB key setup would be easier to manage for
> a novice/intermediate Linux user.
> any suggestions/configurations welcome.  :)

It's possible that your initrd image was created without support for
USB storage.  When I was doing something like this, I had to add
"--with=usb_storage" to the mkinitrd command.

I don't know about LinHES, but with MythDora, just having a USB stick
in the system (regardless of whether I was installing onto it) was
enough to get usb_storage in the initrd image.

Jim