[mythtv-users] Cheap HD media players

Fa fayoeu at gmail.com
Fri Jan 1 18:31:59 UTC 2010

There are a bunch of cheap HD media players on the market.  I am wondering
if anyone purchased one and used it with mythtv.  So far, I have been happy
with the Asus OPlay HD media player.  At first I used it to play from CIFS
share of the recording directory with scripts to do some nice symlinking to
arrange the media, however with the new 1.17 firmware, the upnp stuff seems
to just work with mythbackend.  I think for $100 it did it job well and does
HD, it's form factor is small and quiet.  Oh another thing, my mythtv setup
is using HD homerun.  Recordings can be watched on the OPlay without
transcording.  Also it seems to play most other formats that I throw at it.
I wish it could do commercial skipping, but right now it doesnt and if I
want commercial skipping I just do a mpeg2->mpeg2 transcoding with the
cutlist to remove commercials.

Anyone have comments about other cheap HD media players?

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=sPkRGUeRrpiVYl5K