[mythtv-users] Cheap HD media players

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Fri Jan 1 18:45:33 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 19:31, Fa <fayoeu at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a bunch of cheap HD media players on the market.  I am wondering
> if anyone purchased one and used it with mythtv.  So far, I have been happy
> with the Asus OPlay HD media player.  At first I used it to play from CIFS
> share of the recording directory with scripts to do some nice symlinking to
> arrange the media, however with the new 1.17 firmware, the upnp stuff seems
> to just work with mythbackend.  I think for $100 it did it job well and does
> HD, it's form factor is small and quiet.  Oh another thing, my mythtv setup
> is using HD homerun.  Recordings can be watched on the OPlay without
> transcording.  Also it seems to play most other formats that I throw at it.
> I wish it could do commercial skipping, but right now it doesnt and if I
> want commercial skipping I just do a mpeg2->mpeg2 transcoding with the
> cutlist to remove commercials.
>
> Anyone have comments about other cheap HD media players?
>
> http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=sPkRGUeRrpiVYl5K
>
> I've been using the Xtreamer for a couple of months now. Works fine and
gets the job done. I've used it via CIFS and NFS, both work as one would
expect. It does the job for music and videos as well. Upnp used to be buggy
with MP3's. in the first firmware, but I haven't tried it recently - I use
mythrename to setup a decent folder structure and use that to browse my
recordings. I use mythweb for scheduling etc. It doesn't do commercial
skipping, but it does have the great "skip 3 minutes/30 seconds forward" and
"skip "1 minute/10 seconds backward" feature that I loved in Mythtv and
missed in other similar players.

Only caveat (for me personally) is that it doesn't support is recorded DVB
subtitles, but lots of other players out there don't either.

Kind regards,

Mark