[mythtv-users] How functional is Myth PIP ?

Brent Bolin brent.bolin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 00:34:56 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 6:01 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Friday 01 January 2010 04:54:11 pm Brent Bolin wrote:
>
>> > Are you using VDPAU? I believe this is a known problem - on my
>> > machine, I see flickering and jumpiness in the second image.
>> >

>> No.  I have VDPAU capable systems, but am not using it because "High
>> Quality" does better.
>
> I'm interested in that statement. Everything I've read here indicates that
> VDPAU does a better job than software decoding, this is the first I have heard
> to the contrary.
>
> What video card are you using, what de-interlacer(s)? What sort of display?
>
> I don't mean to give you the third degree, just pin down apparently
> contradictory statements.
>
> Perhaps you are using an interlaced display which can't benefit from the VDPAU
> de-interlacers?
>
> Or do you mean only that High-Quality makes for better PiP performance? This
> would make sense to me.
>
> Much thanks for any information.

I would be more then happy to give you as much detail as possible.  It
has just been my experience that I have better luck not using any of
the VDPAU options within MythTV.

I have three ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom N330 1.6GHz Dual-Core Mini ITX
Intel Motherboard

Believe the graphics card is GeForce 9400M

Three different displays

1. Toshiba HD LCD 19LV505
2. Samsung HD LCD P2370
3. Panasonic PT-53WX53 HD rear projection

I'm not sure about the interlaced specifications your talking about.
I'm pretty new to much of this.

Pretty sure the Samsung can do just about anything.

When any of the VDPAU options are specified in Mythtv setup, playback
appears to be stuttered or out of sync. Can't really look at the other
displays because they are in use.  Think I was also seeing pause
errors.

CPU usage is less with VDPAU enabled.  When running in "High Quality"
CPU usage bounces around 25% usage.  These boards show (4) cpus with
`top`