[mythtv-users] Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCI Express mini-card

Jeff Wormsley daworm at comcast.net
Sat Jan 2 05:46:52 UTC 2010

Brian Wood wrote:
> That solution, and my using old thin clients, both depend on having old
> hardware hanging around.
>
> If buying new today, I still think the Revo, or some other ION solution, is
> probably the best way to go. $200 for a hardware-accelerated HD-capable
> frontend seems pretty good.

Yes, and I'm doing that for one of my other frontends, with a Zotac
IONITX board with the laptop supply, no fans, and if I can get
netbooting figured out, no hard drive.  I have a lot of TV's and not
many frontends and nowhere near the budget I had before I got married.

The AppleTV is a tad better than the Zotac for me for one reason,
though.  It has analog TV outputs so that I can use it on an older SD
set and still be able to play back the HD stuff I'm recording.  The
Zotac is VGA or HDMI or DVI-D only.

Jeff.