[mythtv-users] How functional is Myth PIP ?

RAM ram at bca.com
Sat Jan 2 19:15:43 UTC 2010

On 01/01/2010 04:34 PM, Brent Bolin wrote:

> I would be more then happy to give you as much detail as possible.  It
> has just been my experience that I have better luck not using any of
> the VDPAU options within MythTV.
>
> I have three ZOTAC IONITX-A-U Atom N330 1.6GHz Dual-Core Mini ITX
> Intel Motherboard
>
> Believe the graphics card is GeForce 9400M
>
> Three different displays
>
> 1. Toshiba HD LCD 19LV505
> 2. Samsung HD LCD P2370
> 3. Panasonic PT-53WX53 HD rear projection
>
> I'm not sure about the interlaced specifications your talking about.
> I'm pretty new to much of this.
>
> Pretty sure the Samsung can do just about anything.
>
> When any of the VDPAU options are specified in Mythtv setup, playback
> appears to be stuttered or out of sync. Can't really look at the other
> displays because they are in use.  Think I was also seeing pause
> errors.
>
> CPU usage is less with VDPAU enabled.  When running in "High Quality"
> CPU usage bounces around 25% usage.  These boards show (4) cpus with
> `top`

Hi Brent,

2 thoughts on why you may have the stuttering issues.

     1.    VDPAU lowers the the cpu usage so much that the cpu
throttling does not let the buss move data fast enough.

     2.    I have a couple of Intel based systems and the
hyper-threading (virtual cores) causes problems under certain
conditions. They end up starving for cpu cycles depending on what the
main core is doing.  From observation, it looks like Linux rotates the
processes through the different cores every few seconds either as a work
around for this or more likely to even out heat generation.  For MythTV
I am using AMD processors, I have tested on the Intel boxes, but never
tried turning off hyper-threading in the BIOS.

Roy