[mythtv-users] Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCI Express mini-card

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 00:18:21 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> On Friday 01 January 2010 02:27:17 pm Jeff Wormsley wrote:
>> Yeechang Lee wrote:
>> > But the Broadcom card still requires a slot. I am still seeing the
>> > rationale for buying one when a $40 Nvidia card today is a) fully
>> > supported by MythTV, mplayer, XBMC and other software, and b) has the
>> > latest-and-greatest video-output hardware built in too.
>>
>> For me, the one word answer is AppleTV.   Pull the miniPCIe wifi card,
>> pop this card in, and my paperweight is now a viable frontend.
>
> That solution, and my using old thin clients, both depend on having old
> hardware hanging around.

Also your output options might be worse (or better depending on your
TV) than with a revo/ion setup. Most people wanting HD are going to
want hdmi or dvi output, most old hardware, even if capable of playing
HD with the assistance of a crystalHD, are going to be limited to
whatever the old video chip puts out, probably VGA. I know my Sony
1080p seems to prefer the HDMI input to the VGA one.

But as someone says later in the thread, the appleTV seems to have
the desirable outputs for legacy and current TVs - HDMI, component and
apparently composite via some hack.