[mythtv-users] AppleTV, was: Mac Mini and Broadcom Crystal HD PCI Express mini-card

scram69 scram69 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 01:34:07 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 2:25 PM, Jeff Wormsley <daworm at comcast.net> wrote:
> Brian Wood wrote:
>>
>> I haven't followed the AppleTV much, but your point about being usable
>> with older TV sets is valid.
>>
>> What about the remote situation? Is there a usable and affordable solution
>> there?
>>

> I haven't done this personally, but I have heard you can learn the small
> number of buttons on an Apple remote with a learning remote, re-pair the
> Apple remote to the next set of codes, learn those to more buttons on your
> learning remote, and so on until you fill up the learning remote, the use
> all of the codes at once with the native receiver.  I'll probably use a USB
> remote, either MCE or one of the el cheapo keyboard emulation types I picked
> up for $5 from DealExtreme.
>
> I have only used it as a live frontend briefly, and retired it, because I
> could never get XVMC to work well enough to output HD material.  Sounds like
> with this card, that problem may soon be solved and I can get it back out of
> the closet.
>
> Jeff

I've done this with the Harmony 550 ($50 if you wait for one of the
online deals).  You hold down 2 buttons on the apple remote (I forget
which two) and it changes it's ID and set of codes.  Using 6 IDs' x 6
buttons gave me plenty of functionality with the 550.  The nice part
is you only have to do it once, and the codes and setup are stored in
your Harmony "account" - I've been able to use them to program remotes
for both LIRC and OSX (via remote buddy).