[mythtv-users] Bob's Huge List of Questions [Was: 0.22 annoyances]

Bob Cunningham FlyMyPG at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 07:01:11 UTC 2010

On 01/02/2010 04:08 PM, Christopher Kerr wrote:
>> - HD/SD DVR (Tivo?  WinMCE?  MythTV?)
>>
> If you expect that WinMCE is easier to keep going than Myth, you're
> mistaken - I used it for a year, and it had an infuriating ability to
> just forget that whole multiplexes existed, and no way to fix it.

Good to know:  You're the first I've heard from with real experience in
both domains.

>> - Future support for Blu-Ray 3D disks and rips (PS3?)
>>
> At the moment, there is no legal way to play Blu-Ray on Linux. There
> are methods to rip Blu-Ray on windows, and these rips can be played by
> MythTV, but we don't discuss specifics on this list.

Upscaled DVD looks just as good as BD to me at least 90% of the time.
I'll live.

I'm mainly interested in BD 3D, which was just standardized, so I'll
wait.  The main issue remaining is being sure the video card (and
drivers) will operate the IR transmitter used to control the 3D glasses,
and nVidia seems to have the lead there
(http://www.nvidia.com/object/3D_Vision_Requirements.html).

>> - Phone integration (so I don't have to manually mute/pause the HTPC when I
>> get a call)
>>
> Don't think this has been done, but I don't know any of other PVR's
> which do it either? It's certainly not impossible, but it'd have to be
> a custom setup.

I use BlueProximity to control my screensaver at work.  It works
amazingly well!  (Of course, I haven't told anyone else about it:
Instead, I wired a dummy USB cord to a Spock bobble-head I got at Fry's,
and told everyone it mind-melds with me to control the screensaver.)

I'm guessing it shouldn't be too hard to hack BlueProximity to detect a
ring when it occurs, then issue a "mute" button press.

>> - The HTPC truly deep-sleeps or shuts down when not in use.
>>
> Not sure about this. I think there's some support for it, but it
> doesn't make any sense to me - shutting down the frontend is easy, but
> shutting down the backend seems like you're just asking for missed
> recordings. After all, you don't turn off your ReplayTV box, do you?

My ReplayTV box powers down to about 3 watts between recordings.  I'd
like my HTPC to do the same, or better.

I'm considering using a SheevaPlug to control my entire Home Theater,
including power to the HTPC.  Lirc would be on the SheevaPlug, instead
of the HTPC.

The HTPC would then be configured to use either hibernate (suspend to
disk) or a very fast boot (SSD with boot sequence optimized for speed).
Either way, the HTPC could be ready to record less than 30 seconds after
pressing Power on the remote.

Hey, it could happen!

----

I searched for HTPC hardware, and found some useful HTPC recipes here:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/07/21/how-to-build-a-blu-ray-tv-tuner-equipped-htpc-for-under-1-00/
and here:
   http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17591247

After reading the above, I believe I should be able to get everything I
want in an HTPC for under $1k, and maybe as low as $500 (excluding
massive disk storage and extra tuners).

Any comments?

----

My plan is to take the accumulated wisdom, document the decision
process, build and configure my HTPC, document that process, and post it
all to a wiki.  Sound useful to anyone, or perhaps as a link in a FAQ
entry?  (It might help keep people like me off the list!)

-BobC