[mythtv-users] Use yum-priorities and lirc?

steve networks1 at cox.net
Sun Jan 3 17:14:50 UTC 2010

Two questions about entries in the wiki entry Installing MythTV on Fedora.

(1) Should I use the yum-priorities stuff as recommended?  It points to a
how-to, and the first thing it says is "Gosh, I hope people do not set up
yum priorities. There are so many things about priorities that make me
cringe all over. It could just be that it reminds me of apt 'pinning' and
that makes me want to hurl." :-/

It goes on "Many people still find the priorities plugin to be a useful tool
if carefully configured, and used with an understanding of the functionality
and a recognition of the limitations and potential issues."  Well, I'm not
confident that I can "carefully configure" it and I sure don't understand
the functionality or recognize limitations and potential issues.

OTOH that stuff it's supposed to prevent according to the wiki sounds scary.
What to do?

(2) Do I need to install LIRC or is it already included in FC 12?  In
general the guide seems to be current as of FC 10, so I don't know if this
advice in it might be outmoded.

Thanks...

Steve