[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Sun Jan 3 20:42:23 UTC 2010

On Jan 1, 2010, at 12:34 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> One is the menu (for that part of the application), the other is the
> right-click/shortcut menu for the specific item.  But rather than
> recognizing it for what it is, it seems that lately we have a bunch
> of people using one-button mice (er, remotes) calling it bad UI
> design.
>
> If you look at the historic usage of the MENU and INFO buttons,
> you'll notice that approach holds true more often than not
> throughout MythTV.  Things have changed some in 0.22 (and will
> likely change even more in the future).

To be honest, I never noticed that logic.  It always seemed arbitrary
to me, especially when compared to playback mode, where those buttons
do different things.  In MythMusic they seem to do different things
yet again.

It may not be bad design, but the logic of it was certainly obscure to
me.  Am I just slow?  I suppose it was probably obvious to the people
who worked on it, but they've seen the code, so everything is obvious
to them.  I actually missed some functionality for a long time in
parts of Myth because I never thought to try various buttons in random
places to see where menus would pop up.