[mythtv-users] FC12 firewire i686 vs x86-64?

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Sun Jan 3 16:12:06 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 02, 2010 at 10:57:04PM -0800, Greg Zornetzer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm looking at upgrading my myth box from FC9 / Myth 0.21.  One of my main
> requirements is that I get firewire to work for recording off a cable box.
> I've pulled down some livecd images of FC12 to test out the firewire
> recording capabilities.  I found a rather odd problem.
>
> If I use the i686 livecd, I successfully get firewire recordings.  If I use
> the x86-64 livecd, I get a zero-length file (I tried multiple times to get a
> recording).  I'm using a p2p connection, and the following commands:
>
> plugctl -n 1 oPCR[0].n_p2p_connections=1
> test-mpeg2 -r 1 > test.mpg
>
> As much as I'd like to switch to x86-64, I'm going to stick with i686 if I
> can't make firewire happy.  Unfortunately, I can't seem to activate
> broadcast mode on x86-64 to test that.  Has anyone else encountered a
> problem like this? Ideas?

Hrm. I've seen a controller or two that had a faulty dma engine in it,
and use of certain memory regions would cause it to stall out. Its
possible you've got another such controller, and running i386 vs.
x86_64 gives you slightly different dma memory regions allocated to the
card. Please file a bug at bugzilla.redhat.com! Include as many
specifics about the firewire controller and the system its in...

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com