[mythtv-users] ZOTAC IONITX-B-E installation/configuration...

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Mon Jan 4 02:11:30 UTC 2010

> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a /dev/disk directory?
>
> nope.  i've dug around and see that the kernel isn't loading any of
> the USB drivers/modules before attempting to mount the root drive,
> which it can't do since it's on a USB key.  :)  i'm sure there must be
> some way to force the kernel to load those drivers before trying to
> mount the drive because my CD drive is also USB and it will boot Linux
> fine.  so i'm still digging...

You probably want a custom kernel that has everything built in. That is
illustrated by the module list I have with my Zotac board - it only has
the nvidia video driver and the remote control stuff as modules. Very
necessary in my case because I'm diskless booting over the network which
results in the same sort of chicken and egg situation you have in loading
the drivers but not having the drivers for the media to load them!!

zotac ~ # lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
nvidia               9610616  38
lirc_mceusb2           10692  1
lirc_dev                9800  3 lirc_mceusb2
zotac ~ #

In fact apart from these, the only other modules in the /lib/modules
directory I have are hdpvr.ko and scsi_wait_scan.ko.

I can send you my kernel .config file if that helps - I got it from
someone off the list in the first place!!

--
Robin Gilks