[mythtv-users] ZOTAC IONITX-B-E installation/configuration...

Andrew Close aclose at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 02:23:25 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Robin Gilks <g8ecj at gilks.org> wrote:

>> On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a /dev/disk directory?
>>
>> nope.  i've dug around and see that the kernel isn't loading any of
>> the USB drivers/modules before attempting to mount the root drive,
>> which it can't do since it's on a USB key.  :)  i'm sure there must be
>> some way to force the kernel to load those drivers before trying to
>> mount the drive because my CD drive is also USB and it will boot Linux
>> fine.  so i'm still digging...
>
> You probably want a custom kernel that has everything built in. That is
> illustrated by the module list I have with my Zotac board - it only has
> the nvidia video driver and the remote control stuff as modules. Very
> necessary in my case because I'm diskless booting over the network which
> results in the same sort of chicken and egg situation you have in loading
> the drivers but not having the drivers for the media to load them!!
>
> zotac ~ # lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> nvidia               9610616  38
> lirc_mceusb2           10692  1
> lirc_dev                9800  3 lirc_mceusb2
> zotac ~ #
>
> In fact apart from these, the only other modules in the /lib/modules
> directory I have are hdpvr.ko and scsi_wait_scan.ko.
>
> I can send you my kernel .config file if that helps - I got it from
> someone off the list in the first place!!

thanks Robin.  you're probably right.  executing lsmod from the
recovery shell i see the following:
lsmod = ext3, jbd, mbcache

so no USB related stuff in there. :)  i was hoping i didn't have to go
the route of custom kernels and do-it-yourself.  but i 'am' having fun
and learning with this setup, so why not?
the only reason i didn't jump right into netbooting was because i
thought booting from USB would be easier. :D  oh well, maybe i'll get
that working before i get USB working.

--
Andrew Close