[mythtv-users] What about an impatient wife ?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Jan 4 05:07:23 UTC 2010

On Sunday 03 January 2010 10:24:25 pm Brent Bolin wrote:

> I'm using MythTV for OTA recordings and videos only.  Dumped Comcast.
>
> So during prime time here in the U.S. I usually have four recordings
> running at the same time from about 7PM-10PM.  She can't wait...
>
> So my question is does this screw up recordings when being watched?
> Of coarse she suffers through the commercials but she doesn't care.
>
> Does it mess up commercial flagging of the recorded shows.  Seems like
> it does sometimes.

In theory, playback during recording poses no problems. I often do it myself,
although I usually wait until the recording has gone on long enough that I
can skip the commercials (about 15 minutes per hour). That said, I've run
into issues with FireWire recordings. It seems that when the playback reaches
the point where the recording was when playback started, it crashes the
backend. At least, it did with some early 0.22 releases. I've since upgraded
(running the latest Avenard build for Ubuntu), but I haven't gotten around to
testing if that bug is still present.

A caveat that's not really bug-related is that you must have sufficient CPU
power and I/O bandwidth to handle everything. With four simultaneous
recordings, you could be pushing matters, depending on the types of recording
and what else you're doing. I suggest you schedule four simultaneous
recordings that don't matter to you, of a type similar to what you do
regularly. See if you can play back while all that's going on, and make sure
you test with any background jobs (commflagging, transcoding, etc.) that you
normally run going. Remember that commflagging doesn't do much for a few
minutes; the commflagger waits until it's got enough video to detect a
station bug before it starts.

--
Rod Smith