[mythtv-users] 0.22 annoyances

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 15:13:02 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 12:51 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:
> You know lots about code but statements like the above show that you
> know very little about how normal people use MythTV.
>
> * Most people only have one remote button marked "menu"
> * Most people . . . etc. etc. etc.

Yeechang did you recently take a survey of ALL mythtv users?  Please
give us the results so that we can all know how "most people" think
and what hardware "most people" have.  Ohh you don't actually know
what you are talking about?  Then please stop speaking for "most
people".

Everybody here (you, me, Michael, etc.) only knows their own first
hand experiences.  Personally I have had both the 'menu' and the
'info' buttons mapped on my remote since the beginning of time (well
since I first setup MythTV yeas ago).  So I thought it was really
strange when .23 came out and some experienced users didn't know how
to access the 'info' menu and delete recordings.  Likewise I've never
used the "delete recordings" page (because I could do that from the
watch recordings page).  So I didn't "delete recordings" was removed
in .23 until people started to complain that they couldn't delete
anything.

In my experience, I use the 'info' button a lot more then the 'menu'
button.  For instance it is really handy while playing a recording to
pop up the on screen display and see how much longer there is to play
or read the episode description.  Maybe I just have a different
mindset, but the difference between the two buttons ('menu' and
'info') make perfect sense to me.  In my opinion it is not bad UI
design at all.

-Ryan