[mythtv-users] Closed captioning?

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Mon Jan 4 19:03:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Bart Whiteley <bart.lists at whiteley.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 11:05 AM, Jim Stichnoth <stichnot at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Add "vbi" to the logging (e.g., "mythfrontend -v
>> important,general,vbi"), and the check the logs to see whether any
>> closed captions are even present in the recording.  Look for sequences
>> of lines in the log file starting with "###".
>
> I know closed captions are present in the recordings because if I play
> the .mpg files in vlc, the captions work properly.  I'll try your
> logging suggestion as well.

OK.  Also check the first number that appears after the "###".  This
is the timecode for the caption to be display, in milliseconds from
the start of the recording.  If the number is ridiculously large
(meaning corrupted), then that caption gets scheduled for display a
long time in the future and effectively delays subsequent captions
from being displayed.  Other players like vlc may be more resilient
against this kind of error.

But, this is a long shot and doesn't sound like the problem you're
seeing.  I can just say that I have always had a good experience with
Myth, HDHR, and closed captions, so hopefully there is just some
misconfiguration somewhere.

Jim