[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Mon Jan 4 19:42:29 UTC 2010

---- Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
> > get virtually every channel I pay for (which is just about all
> > channels including premiums) over firewire.  There are some
> > exceptions, but the two notable ones are my local PBS affiliate in HD
> > and my CBS affiliate in HD.  A little unusual that I can get HBO in HD
> > over firewire but not public broadcasting.
>
> Even these are channels that are broadcast over the air and they are
> encrypted on firewire, then that is in violation of FCC rules.
> Contacting the cable company should get that problem resolved relative
> quickly from what I've heard.
I have !zero! lucki  with this.
FireWire  certainly could be the optimal solution for video capture but the greed obsessed partnership of the cable execs, other special interests, and our financially insatiable “statesmen” has resulted in having most of the really nice features of the cable boxes locked out.
On my FW setup, most of the available channels are encrypted, at least at anytime that there is anything worthwhile being broadcast.
When it does work, it's really very nice.

It is interesting to note that in the latest issue of ConsumerReports in  the article on providers of Internet, phone, and tv service the old established cable providers are all fighting hard for the last places in the ratings.
In the true tradition that “nice guys finish last” it's interesting that one of the leaders in the race for the bottom will probably end up taking over the entire broadcasting system.

Hopefully, this years election may boot out enough of the !@$s on the hill to make a few of the those that are left pay just a little tiny bit of attention to the other 99% of us.