[mythtv-users] SiliconDust to Announce CableCard Product at CES [RUMOR]

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Jan 4 20:23:37 UTC 2010

Ronald Frazier <ron at ronfrazier.net> says:
> Even these are channels that are broadcast over the air and they are
> encrypted on firewire, then that is in violation of FCC rules.

No. As Gabe mentioned, the programs are simply 5C flagged to prevent
copying, and the cable boxes happen to obey the flags but over-the-air
tuners don't. (Yes, this is the infamous "broadcast flag"; the
controversy a few years back was over whether to mandate that
over-the-air tuners obey the flag. They are not, so don't.) I realize
this is a distinction without a difference to us end-users, though,
but it is encryption that the FCC bans for over-the-air channels over
FireWire.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array