[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

Greg Oliver oliver.greg at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 01:26:25 UTC 2010

Without broadcast quality hardware, there will be no synchronization..
 Period..  And even then, certain architectures must be met..  You
cannot have motherboard-x, videocard-y, nic-z and expect to accomplish
*exactly* synchronized video...  Everyone is kicking a dead horse
trying to prove how smart we are..  He simply wanted to know the best
way to watch the same stuff across frontends..  Multicast is the
obviously best and only answer to accomplish it for free.  It may not
be to atomic clock precision, but it will have to work...  I would
assume a script could easily be written to listen for IGMP events, and
play them with an external player that supports multicast..  I am not
too sure if there is something in the database that would require
updating prior, such as the IGMP group to join, etc, but it is not far
fetched and would not really require mythtv to be patched for
multicast support..