[mythtv-users] Theme problems upgrading to 0.22

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 5 01:29:27 UTC 2010

On 01/04/2010 10:46 AM, Neil Bird wrote:
>   I had an abortive attempt at upgrading my 0.21-fixes to 0.22 over
> Christmas, and almost got there, but had spent too much time
> deliberating over the d/b schema upgrade errors which cropped up
> (music and video, and also the odd default_authority one which some
> people have seen).

It's not odd...  It's the "You restored 0.21-fixes schema mythconverg
database backup on top of a 0.22 schema mythconverg database."  In the
process, MySQL corrupts all your data (I hope when you reverted, you
went to the pre-upgrade backup...).

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/405443#405443 in "b)"
and "Details" sections.

The 0.22 database schema on to which you restored your backup was the
one your packages helpfully provided.

By the way, the mythconverg_restore.pl script will prevent you from
restoring a backup onto a populated schema...

>   By the time I'd decided that, although I *shouldn't* have been
> getting them (as I don't run svn versions of Myth, nor, in general,
> twiddle with the SQL manually), it was getting too late in the day so
> I reverted, for now, back to 0.21.
>
>   The final straw, as it were, was an inability to change the theme
> from what I *think* is called Terra.  Nomatter what theme I chose,
> Terra came up (and sometimes the frontend crashed out doing the change).
>
>   I don't have a problem with Terra per se (although it was a bit slow
> on my box), except that the fonts all seemed to have a slightly off
> size.  The most obvious example of this is the date/time in the bottom
> right:  I got maybe the left ½ of the 'p' from the final 'pm', with
> the last ½ of the 'p' and the 'm' pushed off screen.
>

>   So I guess I have two questions:
>
> - What might stop me being able to change theme?  I'm using the Qt
> painter, the GL doesn't work on my box.

You had specified an invalid theme (a 0.21 theme that didn't survive),
so mythfrontend overrode your theme setting so it used Terra.  When you
go into Appearance, you can change your theme.  /Because/ you had an
invalid theme (and because it's bad to change a user's setting without
explicit permission) mythfrontend was using an override.  An override
/always/ takes precedence over any setting--regardless of how recently
the setting was set.

So, long story short...  Shut down mythfrontend, restart, and enjoy the
theme you had selected.

Long story, long...  But if you didn't actually change the setting's
value when it was running, you'd be back at a Terra override...  You
have to change it from whatever theme you had selected in
0.21-fixes--that the log messages tell you is invalid on startup--and
save the new value with Next, Next, ... Finish.  In that session, you
won't see a change, but when you restart, it will be the one you
selected--unless you selected another invalid 0.21 theme.  Solution to
the problem:  get rid of all your 0.21-fixes garbage.

Mike