[mythtv-users] Channel overlap with Satellite and ATSC

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jan 5 02:39:37 UTC 2010

On 01/04/2010 12:57 AM, Greg Oliver wrote:
> So, I have followed mythtv for a long time, but never really
> implemented it fully due to lack of HD capabilities for non ATSC
> signals..  Well, with the hd-pvr, that has changed I guess.  I have
> one now, and have it installed and all is great.  I just have a
> question on how to properly setup my sources.
>
> I will end up with 2 or 3 hdpvrs, and probably 2 hdhomeruns.  I do not
> know (and have not found) the proper way to go about configuring it so
> if all four ATSC tuners are busy, that the "local" channels on the
> hdpvrs connected to my directv service gets used.
>
> Is this possible?  It appears when I setup 2 sources with my schedules
> direct (1 for dtv, and 1 for broadcast channels - or if I scan for
> broadcast channels), there is not a correlation between ie, KXAS from
> my directv source, and KXAS for my OTA source.

KXAS is the correlation.  In Myth "this channel" means "all channels
with the same callsign."

Channel number is irrelevant as it's only real use is to allow you to
tune that channel directly from within LiveTV (though if 2 channels have
identical callsign and channel number, they will only be shown once in
the EPG, rather than having 2 identical channels repeated right next to
each other).

xmltvid is used to associate listings from your listings provider with
that channel.  You must use the xmltvid your listings provider uses.
That said, if they are both KXAS and you're using the same listings
provider for both video sources, they will have the same ID.

Mike