[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

Charles Wright cpwright at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 13:24:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Gareth Glaccum
<gareth.glaccum at btopenworld.com> wrote:
> 2) I am a data-stream (video), how do I get where I am going?
> In an ideal world, multicast would be great.
> However, in businesses where there are IT techs paid to set networks up
> properly, most networks I see are not set up correctly for multicast. A hub
> would not multicast, it broadcasts multicast streams. A switch set
> incorrectly will most likely broadcast multicast streams. This means that
> you could be swamping devices on the network with video data. My TV at home
> has a 10Mb/s data port, if I broadcast a video stream to it, it is going to
> be overwhelmed. I suspect there are more home networks that are better set
> up than office networks, but we must consider the case where multicast does
> not work, and it is instead broadcast to all devices.
One could also just use unicast instead of multicast or unicast.  If
you've got an HD stream, I think it should be about 7GB/hour which
works out to ~15.5Mbps.  Multiply that by 5 front-ends (seems like
reasonable number for most homes) and you've got 77Mbps, which is
still far under 1Gbps and you aren't going to affect devices which
aren't using the stream.

Charles