[mythtv-users] Bob's Huge List of Questions [Was: 0.22 annoyances]

Jeff Jensen jjensen at apache.org
Tue Jan 5 14:26:34 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of ryan patterson
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 6:18 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Bob's Huge List of Questions [Was: 0.22
annoyances]

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 3:57 AM, Bob Cunningham <FlyMyPG at gmail.com> wrote:
> What would the best Media Player box be, assuming it would be talking to a
> MythTV backend?
>
> -BobC

Mythfrontend is the best choice.  Why would you want to use
mythbackend with anything else?

-Ryan

Because Mythweb is decent, Myth Player works well, and I don't need a
"special PC" in my family room.  I have a quad core with 4G RAM running
(yes, gasp) Windows for family use (surfing, email, games - I have 3 kids
under 12).  I bought a long video cable that runs behind the couch and to
40" TV.

Talk about high WAF - she loves the ease of scheduling things with Mythweb.
It's also the nicest TV Guide I've seen.  Our DVR sits unused, and she used
to ask me to schedule things on it for her; not anymore!

I also have shows transcoded first to convert/cleanup, and then commercials
flagged to get a cutlist for the player.  The commflag has been perfect.  My
11 year old thinks it is the coolest thing when commercials auto-skip!
(he's not the only one!)

So for "just watching shows", Mythfrontend has a lot of features and frills
we don't need.