[mythtv-users] Some what OT hardware remote question

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 5 15:47:21 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
> I also have another receiver that came with a Dvico FusionHDTV.  It's
> a stereo jack type connection that fits into the Dvico PCI card.
>

> I'm wondering if I still have reception problem, if I can use this
> receiver with the new remote?
>
> I'm running Mythbuntu .22
>
> When I run the lirc configure command `sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc`
> there is an option for -
>
> IR receiver IC connected to audio input (EXPERIMENTAL)
>> IR receiver IC connected to audio input using ALSA (EXPERIMENTAL)
>
> Has anybody tried this type of connection?
>
> Or is there some type of usb/stereo jack converter?
>
> When this connection was previsously configured on my back end it was
> seen as a usb device -
>
> Jan  5 20:46:50 myth kernel: [139556.084196] input: i2c IR
> (FusionHDTV) as /devices/virtual/input/input11
> Jan  5 20:46:50 myth kernel: [139556.084282] ir-kbd-i2c: i2c IR
> (FusionHDTV) detected at i2c-1/1-006b/ir0 [cx23885[0]]

Don't be confused by the shape of the plug.  Just because it looks
like a stereo jack doesn't mean it has anything to do with audio.
This type of receiver does not use the audio input driver.  The Dvico
card has all of the hardware on it to convert the electrical signals
from the receiver into a USB interface seen by the PC and lirc has
full support for this device with its own dedicated driver:

For supported hardware and drivers see:

http://www.lirc.org/html/table.html

Eric