[mythtv-users] Way out idea on watching same thing in multiplerooms

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Jan 5 17:44:16 UTC 2010

On Jan 4, 2010, at 7:01 PM, Chris Ribe wrote:

> I feel we have established the latency concerns are real and of no
> significance to this mode of operation.
>

> Latency is absolutely a significant issue. When it is on the order
> of 50-500ms, it will cause a horribly annoying echo at any frontends
> that are within earshot of each other.

If we take 50 ms as the threshold, ethernet will be more than OK, but
wireless will be a problem.  Pinging wired hosts on my home network, I
get round trip times of less than 1 ms, even with large packets.
However, my wireless hosts go as high as 100 ms -- and it's
inconsistent, so even an adaptive approach wouldn't work.  Keeping
consistently tight sync over wireless may not be a solvable problem
without adding a lot of complexity.