[mythtv-users] Cannot delete some recorded programs after upgrading to 0.22-fixes

TJ Harris tjharris at weaselworkz.com
Tue Jan 5 17:44:18 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 10:23 AM, TJ Harris <tjharris at weaselworkz.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM, Michael T. Dean
> <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 11/15/2009 04:08 PM, TJ Harris wrote:
>>> When I try to delete recordings with 0.22-fixes, they disappear
>>> briefly, but then show up again when the screen is refreshed.    This
>>> is true of both the "Watch Recordings" screen and Mythweb.
>>>
>>> In the mythbackend logs I seen entries like:
>>>
>>> 2009-11-15 12:47:52.606 mythbackend: Delete Recording: Unable to
>>> retrieve program info for chanid 1002 at Sun Nov 15 09:06:00 2009.
>>> Program will NOT be deleted.
>>> 2009-11-15 12:47:55.185 ERROR retrieving program info when trying to
>>> delete program for chanid 1005 recorded at Sun Nov 15 09:06:00 2009.
>>> Recording will NOT be deleted.
>>>

>>> The recordings were scheduled via Mythweb or manage recordings UI,  so
>>> myth definitely knows about the channels and programs.     In the case
>>> of the above messages, the programs were scheduled to be recorded at
>>> 9:06AM today, then attempted to be deleted shortly after they
>>> finished, and there was no other messing with the database, recording
>>> files, channel lists, etc.
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure this is not happening 100% of the time.  I think that
>>> maybe 1/3 of the programs I delete actually get deleted.  But, 2/3
>>> fail.   Prior to the upgrade, when I was running 0.21-fixes, programs
>>> were deleted without problems.
>>>
>>> Anyone else getting this?
>>
>> Most likely this is either an issue with your storage groups
>> configuration (i.e. missing some directories in some of you storage
>> group definitions) or a hostname issue--i.e. the "missing" recordings
>> were recorded by a different host from the one that currently has them.
>> The 2nd possibility--the hostname issue--would even be transparent to
>> playback in some configurations (with the storage group directories NFS
>> mounted to frontend machines).
>

> Thanks for the response.   I did have a storage group defined for a
> directory which no longer existed.   I deleted that entry, so now only
> one storage group exists with the 2 valid directories: /Media &
> /Media2.  I then restarted mythbackend.   But, the behavior still
> happens.  I just recorded 2 small programs, then deleted them via
> mythweb, but they showed up again when I refreshed mythweb 20 minutes
> later.
>
> My setup is fairly simple..  only one backend, with 2 local media
> drives, my frontend is accessing the recordings via myth protocol not
> NFS, and mythweb is running directly on the backend.
>
> The error in mythbackend is still the same:
> 2009-11-16 10:19:46.671 ERROR retrieving program info when trying to
> delete program for chanid 1006 recorded at Mon Nov 16 09:21:00 2009.
> Recording will NOT be deleted.
> 2009-11-16 10:19:46.679 mythbackend: Delete Recording: Unable to
> retrieve program info for chanid 1006 at Mon Nov 16 09:21:00 2009.
> Program will NOT be deleted.
>
> I verified that chanid 1006 exists in the DB.

I got a couple private e-mails from others seeing this behvaior, but
no solutions.
I did some more debugging on this, to try and isolate the problem.

- It's not just a problem deleting, it also effects other things like
generating preview images for recordings.   But, it does not effect
playback of recordings.

- The debug messages point to a problem with a SQL query to retrieve
the program info.  I grabbed the SQL query from the debug output, and
tried it by hand and it worked for me.  It returned the right recorded
program record and the file referenced in that record did exist on
disk.

- I also ran one of the failing commands (mythbackend to generate
preview image) with strace and found the same thing, the SQL query
appeared to be succeeding, but the debug output said it failed.   It
never tried to access the video file on disk (supporting the fact that
it thought the SQL query failed)