[mythtv-users] Some what OT hardware remote question

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Jan 5 17:56:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Brent Bolin <brent.bolin at gmail.com> wrote:
> So I'm a little confused.  Can this plug be plugged into one of the
> "line-in" or "mic-in" ports on the zotac and then configure lirc to
> use it?

Probably not.  I don't have any details about the hardware in that
particular receiver, but there's no guarantee that the voltages being
used are appropriate for a sound card input.

You can read more about IR audio hardware here:

http://www.lirc.org/ir-audio.html

If your receiver is compatible with the hardware described there, it
will work, and if not, it won't.  Worst case scenario is that plugging
it in will fry your motherboard (but that's highly unlikely).

> is there a usb->stereo converter that can be used?

Remember, it's not really a stereo jack.  It's just a plug that has
the same shape as a stereo plug.

In all likelihood, your receiver is expecting the three connectors on
the plug to be power, ground, and signal, while your soundcard is
expecting ground, left, and right.  Since the sound card does not
provide power on the line-in jack, and the receiver requires power, it
isn't likely to work.

Eric