[mythtv-users] Dvb-s HD uk freesat and USB tuners

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Tue Jan 5 19:24:09 UTC 2010

On 5 Jan 2010, at 18:19, Greg Cope wrote:

> Hi all
>
> Thinking about an HD dvb-s tuner to get freesat in the uk.  I have a few questions;
>
> -Does itv-HD playback work in myth 0.22?

Very nicely yes, it even fixes up the recording as it's made so it plays on uPnP players and plays (transcodes or whatever) fine if you copy the file somewhere else.

> - Do I need dvb-s2 tuners?

Not right now, BBC HD and ITV-HD are both DVBS transmissions. This could change at any time, maybe even by the time you read this email :-)

I wouldn't buy DVBS tuners for the UK right now, I'd guess that when ITV get their court decision on advertising revenues (February) there could be a switch very soon after that, maybe before if CH4 HD decide to launch on Freesat, they just launched E4HD, maybe that's a sop to Sky so they can go free to air.

There are many other UK HD channels and they are all DVBS2 but discussion of that sort of thing isn't allowed on here. If you plan to get other satellites there's unencrypted DVBS2 HD channels that you can get easily in the UK.

> - Any recommended USB dvb-s tuners?

Not from me, I don't do USB tuners.

> Any other 0.22 issues with dvb-s for HD in the uk?

I haven't seen any, I have two 0.22 backend systems, one is dual DVBS & dual DVBT the other is single DVBS2.

> Having a full HD tv with a vdpau capable revo it would seem a shame not to get some HD content!

Absolutely, BBC HD is not what is was in some senses but it's still much better than BBC's SD, especially if you scale SD for a HDTV. ITV-HD is good with the odd bad programme although there really isn't much on. If you have a powerful enough card vdpau makes top quality HD.

Andre